Prix Elysée 2014 – 2016
The eight nominees of the 2014 edition were selected by the Musée l’Elysée from over 400 global applicants. Presenting the nominees’ projects, this book invites us to discover the intimacy of work-in-progress and offers a panorama of contemporary photographic practices.
Texts by : Caroline Stevan, Pascal Hufschmid, Jean-Marc Jacot, Sam Stourdzé and Tatyana Franck
Published by the Musée de l’Elysée, 2014
Bilingual French / English
203 x 305 mm
I grew up during Communism with its key motto „With the Soviet Union for all Eternity“. Back then, we would add, laughing: but not an hour longer. This has been, until this day, one of the few experiences I’ve had with eternity.
Since then, my life has been filled with negotiating its many temporary situations and solutions. People of my generation have grown up, we are middle-aged now. Temporariness is slipping out of our hands, we are fighting against endless variations of disintegration and the void left behind the abandoned old dogmas.
We find ourselves in a complex world without a sense of permanence and certainty. We surround ourselves with temporary friends, we have temporary women, we have a temporary tooth replacement and we prefer temporary residencies to permanent address. Provisional Arrangements is a project concerned with situations which contain an element of uncertainty and mystery. It will be a photographic record/portrayal capturing the disintegration of permanence into temporary and provisional.
- Federica Angelucci, Director, Stevenson, Cape Town / Johannesburg
- Martin Barnes, Senior Curator of Photographs, Victoria and Albert Museum, London
- Elena Foster, Founder and CEO, Ivorypress, London / Madrid
- Ramón Reverté, Editor-in-chief and Creative Director, Editorial RM, Barcelona / Mexico City
- Tatyana Franck, Director, Musée de l’Elysée, Lausanne
- Jean-Marc Jacot, CEO, Parmigiani Fleurier, Fleurier
- Marina Vatchnadze, Sandoz Family Foundation, Manager of the cultural patronage