At the Musée de l’Elysée, we think that accompanying photographers in the evolution of their career is as important as preserving their art for future generations. It is in a shared commitment to foster creativity and support the production of new work that the Musée de l’Elysée enters into a partnership with Parmigiani Fleurier to launch the Prix Elysée.
The Prix Elysée is open to promising photographers or artists using photography, regardless of nationality, who have already enjoyed their first exhibitions and publications. Photographers must be recommended by a reputed professional in the fields of photography, contemporary art, cinema, fashion, journalism or publishing. There is no imposed theme or preference for any particular photographic genre or technique.
The Musée de l’Elysée will select eight nominees upon their entry portfolios. Each will receive a contribution of CHF5’000 towards the initial presentation of an original and new project in the nominees’ book, published for the occasion. This book will accompany the nominees’ complete portfolios in the final consideration before the jury of experts. The winner will receive CHF80’000 to be divided between the completion of the proposed project and the publication of the accompanying book within one year. A curator from the Musée de l’Elysée will advise the winner throughout this process. Both the project and book will be presented at one of the Museum’s most important events. The nominees’ and the winner’s books will be printed by one of the Sandoz Family Foundation printing companies.
The eight nominees and the winner of the Prix Elysée will all benefit from important exposure and the Museum’s expert guidance. The call for applications will take place biennially. The fourth edition of the Prix Elysée is launched in January 2020 and concludes in June 2022.
- January 1, 2020
- Applications open, Prix Elysée 4th édition.
- March 9, 2020
- Applications close.
- June 2020
- Announcement of the eight Prix Elysée nominees. / Presentation of Luis Carlos Tovar's project, winner of the Prix Elysée 3rd edition.
- January 2021
- Publication of the Prix Elysée Nominees’ Books.
- June 2021
- Announcement of the Prix Elysée winner.
- January 2022
- Application submission open, Prix Elysée 5th edition.
- June 2022
- Announcement of the eight Prix Elysée nominees / Presentation of the 4th edition winner’s project.
The jury of the Prix Elysée is composed of 6 members: 4 international experts from the fields of photography and publishing and 2 representatives of the Prix Elysée founding partners.
The voting jury members of the fourth Prix Elysée (2020-2022) are:
- Clément Chéroux, Chief Curator of Photography at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York
- Laurel Parker, Founder and artistic director of Laurel Parker Book, Paris
- Carla Sozzani, Gallerist, publisher and founder of Galleria Carla Sozzani, Milan
- Michael G. Wilson, Philanthropist, producer and collector of photographs, London
- Tatyana Franck, Director of the Musée de l’Elysée, Lausanne
- Michel Parmigiani, Founder of Parmigiani Fleurier, Fleurier